It's hard for me to believe that one week today is the one year anniversary of Hannah's first seizure. It seems so recent, but also so long ago. We have been through so much, but come so far since that day. And more than that I have learnt so much.It was a normal Sunday morning. Actually the morning of the Argus cycle tour. We had planned to get a babysitter and watch from a friend's house in Noordhoek. I guess by some miracle that didn't happen, so we were at home having breakfast. Hannah was still eating and Roland was with the others. I looked at her and realised something was wrong. I gave her a spoon of cereal and there was no reaction.
That drive to the hospital was a blur to me... I remember looking at the speedo on the freeway turnoff to see 180 kmph. And racing her into the ER. And I remember sitting on an ER bed sobbing, not knowing where my angel was, but other than that, I remember very little.
I've learned a lot about seizures and epilepsy since then. And I've been through a fair amount with Hannah. But the more people I speak to, the more I realise that what we are facing is a breeze in the ocean compared to most.
Hannah is a very mildly CP child. She is a left hemiplegic, but walks well and has good use of her left arm (when she wants to!), but more than that, she is the most incredibly strong-willed child I have ever met. It's a difficult thing to deal with as a parent, but can only help a child like Hannah.I've met so many CP kids over the last few years and I still think Hannah is amazing. The seizures are definitely the thing I struggle with the most, but I really thing we are getting to the point of controlling them. It is still something that sits in the back of my mind because I know it might happen any time.
This anniversary has been in the back of my mind for a while, but came back to reality after hearing about a friends child that had a massive seizure today.
Bee and Jem, I know what you are going through. And you are in my prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment